Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Super's One Year Doctor's Visit

Today Chris and I took Kal-el for his one year check up with Dr. Melvin. I was really anxious to see if his ear infection was better and also to hear our growing boy's stats! My lower back has been telling me that he is still in the higher percentile but I needed affirmation from the doc to confirm my hunch. Mr. Melvin took a peek inside little man's ear, much to his displeasure and protest, and informed us that his infection was completely cleared up. Music to our EARS...sorry couldn't resist lol..He also told us that Kal-el was still a big healthy boy. He measured in at 29 lbs and over 31 inches tall, putting him at the 80th percentile for weight and 90th percentile for height. It makes me laugh when I think that my one year old is already slightly over half of his Mommy's height! Dr. Melvin asked us several developmental questions during our visit and I'm so thankful that munchkin is still ahead of the curve in many aspects. Ironically, Melvin asked about his walking. I told him he usually takes about 7 solo steps. Doc informed us this was great.  Then as if to prove his Mommy wrong Kal-el literally doubles that number right before our eyes and talks loudly to Dr. Melvin as he walks across the floor to him. Yay! Dr. Melvin said wow buddy thats alot more than 7. We were extremely proud of our baby. Before his shots we touched on the dreaded subject of co sleeping. None of us are getting adequate rest at night and we want to get a handle on this before our little one gets any older. We know this task will only grow more difficult as time lapses. I asked Melvin about his thoughts on the Ferber Method and he replyed that it really works if the parents just stick with it and can handle it. We are going to give it a go this Thursday night when Chris is off . He told us that it usually only takes about 3 nights for a baby to get adjusted. We are going to be doing lots and lots of praying b/c this task was really hard on us the first time we tried a couple of months back.  It was esp hard for me. It's torture to here your little person whaling for you and Dada. Our comfort is knowing that if all three of us can get through this it will be for the better. I hope this time next week Kal-el is in love with sleeping in his adorable nursery again. Kal-el was a big boy once again when it was time for his shots. Crying only briefly at the inital prick..well three to be exact. Old mean place! :) Afterwards he was ready to get out of there. I had to head back to work but Daddy took Kal-el by Mcdonalds where he apparently devoured an entire hamburger Happy Meal. I fall more in love with this child everyday :)

3 comments:

  1. The Ferber Method worked wonderfully for us. I did it with Noah at around 4 months and it only took 3 nights until I could lay Noah in his crib awake and he would soothe himself to sleep with ease. I would imagine that it might be a little tougher since Kal-el's older and more aware of what's going on than Noah was at 4 months but good luck!!! Persistancy is definitely the key... when they're doing all that crying, you just have to tell yourself that in the long run, this is much better for you, your husband, and your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to start The Sleep Lady approach. It is like Ferber, to an extent, but a little different. You sit by them until they fall asleep..and then each night you get further and further away from the crib...supposed to be a lot less crying...
    I can't do full on CIO. Addie is old enough to get hysterical...and then throws up. :( So I can't stand that. So we're going to try this, but first we have to wait for these next 2 teeth to pop through...should be happening any day now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I piggy-back what Whitney said. We followed Baby Wise (loosely) from the time Hannah was about 8 weeks old and initiated the Ferber method at about 12 weeks and she's been sleeping by herself since then. The first night is the worst. Occupy yourself somehow so you are not watching the clock...that helps tremendously. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive