Thanks to the Ferber method and Scout my little big boy has finally graduated to sleeping through the night in his own crib. Yay! I can hardly believe it myself. Chris and I have been wanting to start the Ferber Method (graduated extinction) for several weeks now and it seemed like we were continually putting it off but for very valid reasons. We were all sick at one point and then Super had a couple more teeth we waited to pop through before tackling our sleep issue. Kal-el seemed pretty tired Saturday after our visit with the Easter Bunny so Chris and I decided that this was a great time to try to get him accustomed to getting to sleep on his own in his crib. Chris carried Super upstairs at about 9:30. He generally doesn't start to show any sings of sleepiness until around this time, sometimes even later but he was already spent from our busy day. The process started off very similar to our previous Ferber attempts. As soon as he was laid down in his crib he started squaling. Chris stayed in the room with him but didn't look at him or interact with him whatsoever. I kissed him goodnight and walked across the hall to our bedroom to put some laundry away and get my mind off my crying, miserable baby. A turned the video monitor in our bedroom on so I could observe the progress with the sound turned down a little. Fifteen minutes into my folding I realised that I no longer heard crying...could it be? I glanced over at the monitor and saw that sweetest thing. Kal-el had crawled over to Scout, a green dog toy that Mom and Aunt Vicki got him for his birthday and cuddled up to him, cried one last time then laid his little head on him and fell asleep. Scout is precious, he plays music, talks, and is programmed to call your childs name. Kal-el wasn't on the list of names b/c it's a unique name but Thomas was so the puppy toy calls him by his first name. I received a text message from Chris saying " He just fell asleep...I love you..don't reply back". Of course I already knew this b/c I had just seen it for myself. We were so excited and proud of him. What I thought would take all night and alot of tears ..from me and him..ended up being a smooth transition with minimal crying. We did carry him back to our bed at about 4am of this first night. I'm all about gradual exposure to something new, at this point we were just so happy that he was able to lay down and fall asleep by himself. He previously wouldn't even lay down if he was sleepy instead he would stand up and cry until someone came to hold him and help him get to sleep.
Sunday was the second night of Ferber and it went even better than the first. We were pleased because this is exactly how this method is supposed to work. Kal-el woke up a couple of times in the middle of the night. We let a few minutes pass then Chris and got up to go comfort him .I glanced at the monitor and saw him stop crying and crawl over to Scout and do the same thing he had done previously. He snuggled up to him and fell asleep. It was a bitter sweet moment for me because I used to be Scout. All night long I would be the one he would snuggle with and sleep on but at the same time I was so happy that my little boy has learned to soothe himself to sleep. Now his Dada and I can get some sleep without having to worry about rolling over on our man. I'm grateful that prayers were answered and each night just gets easier. Last night Super didn't even so much as whimper when we put him in at bedtime he just hugged Scout and drifted off to dreamland!

I took this right after he fell asleep..how sweet is this?
Cuddleing with Scout :)
The green pup of sleep himself
He still wakes up perfectly happy..and is every bit the same
baby for all of you Ferber critics :) Check out those dimples!
Hannah has the female version of Scout. Her name is Violet and well, she's purple. She LOVES her. I have yet to program her name in:)
ReplyDeleteI have seen Violet..she's soo cute..how sad is it that I kind of wanted her for myself? LOL :)
ReplyDelete