Friday, April 6, 2012

Kal-El's 3 Year Well Check!

   Kal-el and I arose bright and early this morning to pay Dr. Melvin a visit for Super's annual well check. I have been telling him all week that after his doctor's appointment he could go visit the Easter Bunny. I have also told him that this visit would not include shots. Apparently, I was given wrong information by a nurse on our last visit because she told me he wouldn't have shots again until age four. I feel so bad for not telling Kal-el the truth but I didn't know :(
    When he walked in the exam room he was very apprehensive and asked me every 20 seconds if he was getting a shot. I repeatedly told him no and then the nurse looked at his chart and said well actually he may get one today but I can ask about waiting. My heart sunk but I knew I needed to to what was best for Kal-el and I didn't want to have to drag him back in the office at a later time and re expose him to sick little people. I told her I would just try to calm him down. She was very sweet and helpful but Kal-el understood our entire conversation and had a melt down down once she stepped out of the room. He flat out REFUSED to let me put the paper gown on him. He was scared but he is SO strong. It took all the strength I had and I still could not tackle him down long enough to get his clothes off. I finally basically sat on him to get his shirt off. Then enters Dr. Melvin...."Lots of noise coming from this room, whats wrong buddy?" Kal-el froze. Dr. Melvin said they could compromise and he could keep his pants on if he wanted. Super agreed and let him check his ears,listen to his heart etc. Dr. Melvin told him he was a good patient it just takes him a little while to relax. What a kind, understanding way to put it. Meanwhile I was dripping sweat and had a racing pulse lol. He ended up having a great visit and was over his shot very fast. The anticipation and dread is always worse than the bite. He's still over the 90th percentile for weight and height and past where he needs to be on all his milestones. He walked out of the office today with a stiff leg, ill expression, and a request to see the bunny. No problem Superman. Glad our strong willed baby is healthy again this year!
                                 I'm getting a WHAT?!?
                               He absolutely would NOT wear this :)
                                         Sweet boy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive