Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Skittle and Summer!

     I waited a bit to post about our two new aquatic additions for obvious reasons. I say that in jest because these new creatures are ones we are very familiar with....African Clawed frogs. As a matter of fact my mom still has a male that I practically grew up with! He's AT LEAST 13 yrs old and they are very hardy. I was surprised and happy to see them at the pet store! In case you haven't guessed by now Breathy....stopped...well, breathing lol! We can dangerous close to purchasing a guinea pig or chinchilla so Chris and I breathed a huge sign of relief when we saw these guys. They were labeled wrong, as pet stores often do, but I recognized them right away. I wont bore you with the details but they had all the features and distinctive markings including the little black claws in back and non webbed front hands. Precious. Im weird I know. There was one very bright colored frog among the others. They called him a "candy" frog but he was also a clawed frog. I assumed it was a genetic mutation and Super was in love with that one and named it Skittle before we could get out the door. He chose a non colorful one as well and named him Summer :) When I got home I researched the coloring of Skittle only to find that they are DYED that color. I was NOT happy. Its unnecessary and cruel and most likely hurts :( He will pron fade back to his natural color in a few years which is fine by us. They are actually illegal in some states. They grow pretty large and people will toss them in ponds are lakes and bc they are so hardy and eat anything they destroy the eco structure of the waters wherever they go! They are a neat read up and very cool little frogs. We are just happy that something in water can survive...even in the Borquez house!
                                   Have you hugged a frog today? lol :)
                                           See the claws on his little back legs :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive