Its still hard for me to believe this is actually happening. Letting go a little is not easy. Its a million times harder when you have a little one with special needs. Back when we visited Vanderbilt for Logan's evaluation we were told by the wonderful doctors there that it was imperative that Logan be in a structured environment with a focus on education to get him ready for formal school. We knew this would be a challenge almost right away. For starters when we started calling around to various day cares we were told he had to be potty trained. He was a late on this because of his delays. I had no idea in a matter of weeks after those phone calls he would be where he needed to be. Still so proud of him. Among the places that would accept him there were other issues. Mainly they were run strictly like a daycare. There was very little focus on education. I also did not really want a church based program in the slightest. His dr made a point to tell us that if the environment was not conducive to learning that his rapid progression would stop. He said he was coming along wonderfully at home so we certainly didnt want to back peddle. In other words we had to find the magic unicorn of preschools. Not an easy task with the limited options in our area!
Logan started taking speech two days a week with Florence City special education back last year. They have a preschool there as well. Its called Head Start. Since his speech services are in that same building we knew it would be a very familiar place and an easier adjustment for him. Sometimes changes can be hard for him. I knew it was a federal program so there were education requirements for the teachers. The program serves lots of low income families so I was told we had a slim to none chance of getting in. Every year they do accept a few students that simply need help because of their special needs. Roughly 10% of kids with special needs above the income bracket are allowed to attend because of having an IEP and already receiving services in the building. We filled out the forms and never thought anything else about it and assumed he wouldnt get in even though it was really our last option. When we received his paper work in mail we were so happy there was an option for him....well not really but doctors orders and I wanted to give Logan every advantage possible.
Fast forward to Tuesday. Today is his second full day of school and Im thrilled to report..so far so good. He seems to really enjoy it and he loves the daily interaction with other children. I had some food concerns because they serve hot dogs and some other notable choke hazards. I was told that bc they are required to provide lunches to kids of low income families that I would not be allowed to bring food from home for him. I can see where it would be unfair. I was able to get a doctors note stating what he could not have and I feel so much better about it now :) Yesterday he told me he had crickets for lunch. When I walked him in today I discovered it was croissants lol!! Every day when we pick him up with peek through the door first. Yesterday the teacher was reading to all the children in a circle...I didnt see Logan among the group so I stuck my head in and there he was...sitting on a couch reading his own book very loudly and grinning. She didnt seem to mind. :) He is his own person and he definitely marches to the beat of his own drum. Come on 2:00 oclock. Ready to get my wolfie!
Tuesday, August 25, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
- June (2)
- April (2)
- March (1)
- January (1)
- December (2)
- November (3)
- September (3)
- August (11)
- July (1)
- June (8)
- May (1)
- April (5)
- February (2)
- January (3)
- December (8)
- November (2)
- October (9)
- September (2)
- August (3)
- July (1)
- June (2)
- May (5)
- April (2)
- March (4)
- February (4)
- January (2)
- December (11)
- November (5)
- October (3)
- September (5)
- August (3)
- July (9)
- June (11)
- May (4)
- April (6)
- March (7)
- February (5)
- January (7)
- December (9)
- November (11)
- October (9)
- September (11)
- August (11)
- July (11)
- June (12)
- May (12)
- April (15)
- March (12)
- February (13)
- January (16)
- December (18)
- November (11)
- October (14)
- September (14)
- August (13)
- July (10)
- June (15)
- May (16)
- April (14)
- March (15)
- February (13)
- January (13)
- December (13)
- November (9)
- October (17)
- September (15)
- August (13)
- July (16)
- June (16)
- May (15)
- April (16)
- March (15)
- February (12)
- January (16)
- December (15)
- November (6)
- October (3)
- September (2)
- August (3)
- July (10)








No comments:
Post a Comment